No. 23 ND wins 80-62, behind Harangody's 29Nov 25, 2009 - 3:34 AM By TOM COYNE AP Sports Writer
SOUTH BEND, Ind.(AP) -- Notre Dame coach Mike Brey wasn't asked about the play of Luke Harangody until his postgame news conference was almost over.
"I hope our people appreciate what they're seeing with this guy. He's the best player in college basketball and to do what he does in a machinelike way every day, every night is really staggering," he said. "Sometimes even I go, 'Yeah, 29 and 15. He did it again."'
Harangody had 29 points and 15 rebounds to help No. 23 Notre Dame beat Kennesaw State 80-62 in the Chicago Invitational Challenge on Tuesday night. He had a double-double in the first half with 16 points and 11 rebounds and picked up his 1,000th career rebound in the second half, becoming just the fifth Irish player to pass that mark.
"It's a big deal. Just need to keep adding to it," Harangody said.
The Irish (5-0), have scored at least 80 points in each game in getting off to their best start since going 7-0 to open the 2001-02 season.
It took Notre Dame a while to pull away especially after making just 8 of 15 free throws in the first half, finishing 20 of 33 for the game. Kennesaw State (2-2) was 5 of 8.
"They went in the double bonus early, then every time we touched them, they got a chance to get two points," Kennesaw State coach Tony Ingle said. "I wish every time they touched us we had a chance to get two points. But we were in that situation, I think, because of being outrebounded."
Notre Dame outrebounded the Owls 28-12 in the second half and 53-31 overall. Carleton Scott added a career-high 11 rebounds and Tim Abromaitis had 14 points.
Kurtis Woods, who scored 18 points, scored on a fastbreak basket as the Owls cut the lead to 45-39. But an 8-0 run by the Irish pushed the lead back up to 53-39 when Abromaitis hit a 3 with 10:16 left. The Owls never got closer than 10.
Markeith Cummings added 12 points for the Owls and Matt Haramb had 10 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
KENNESAW STATE 24 38 62
NOTRE DAME (23) 33 47 80 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: KENNESAW STATE - KURTIS WOODS 18, MARKEITH CUMMINGS 12,
MATT HERAMB 10
NOTRE DAME - LUKE HARANGODY 29, TIM ABROMAITIS 14,
TWO PLAYERS WITH 8
Nov 24 9:18 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
KENNESAW STATE 24 24
NOTRE DAME (23) 33 33 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
KENNESAW STATE - MATT HERAMB 5, MARKEITH CUMMINGS 4,
THREE PLAYERS WITH 3
NOTRE DAME - LUKE HARANGODY 16, BEN HANSBROUGH 5,
TORY JACKSON 4
Nov 24 8:15 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17