Glover's buzzer-beater lifts Utes over IlliniNov 28, 2009 - 6:40 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Las Vegas has been a great place for Utah in 2009.
After winning the Mountain West Conference tournament last March in Sin City, the Utes scored another huge win on Friday night, knocking off No. 20 Illinois 60-58 on a buzzer-beater from Shawn Glover in the third round of the Las Vegas Invitational.
Glover, a freshman guard, banked home a runner in the lane and Utah (3-2) rallied from a 16-point halftime deficit to stun the Illini (4-1).
Jay Watkins hit Glover on an outlet after pulling down the rebound on a missed jumper by Demetri McCamey with four seconds left.
"I wanted to dunk it, but I had to just float it up," Glover said. "I was running down the court and (Watkins) saw me out of the corner of his eye. We've been struggling, but our (veterans) stepped it up."
McCamey led Illinois with 19 points and seven rebounds, and teammate Mike Tisdale added 18 points.
Luka Drca led Utah's second-half charge with 14 of his team-high 16 points. Watkins added 12 points and Glover had five.
"We haven't been trusting ourselves," said Utah coach Jim Boylen, whose team lost to Seattle 77-74 at home in the second round on Tuesday. "We've grown from a couple of losses. We're thankful and we can grow from a win now. Illinois is a big-time team. This is a great win."
Utah now plays Oklahoma State in the championship game Saturday night, while the Illini will face Bradley in the consolation game.
In the second half, the Utes shot 16 for 23 after going 7 of 29 in the first half.
"We just couldn't stop them in the second half," Illinois coach Bruce Weber said. "We couldn't go transition. They just sat in a pack and we didn't get shots. I thought our defense was good in the first half, but not in the second half."
The Illini used an 18-2 run in the first half to take a 32-16 at the break.
But the Utes came to life in the second half, taking a 51-50 lead on Glover's free throw with 4:53 left.
After that there were four lead changes and four ties before Glover won it.
"I thought our defense had its swagger back (in the second half)," Boylen said. "We rebounded the ball and did a great job defensively in the second half."
This was the first time the teams had met since 1983.
Illinois won the Las Vegas Invitational in 2001 and 2004, when the tournament was played at a local high school gym, which had a seating capacity of around 2,000.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS (20) 58 FINAL
Nov 28 12:27 AM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UTAH 16 16
ILLINOIS (20) 32 32 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
UTAH - DAVID FOSTER 4, JAY WATKINS 4, FOUR
PLAYERS WITH 2
ILLINOIS - DEMETRI MCCAMEY 10, MIKE TISDALE 7,
DOMINIQUE KELLER 6
Nov 27 11:17 PM
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4
- After arrests, Illinois AD gives Groce another endorsement Mar 24
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18