Diakite, Central Florida edge Albany (N.Y.) 76-72Nov 29, 2009 - 12:45 AM ORLANDO, Fla.(AP) -- Dave Diakite scored a career-high 19 points and made a game-clinching steal to lead Central Florida to a 76-72 victory over Albany (N.Y.) on Saturday.
With the Knights (5-1) leading 74-72 in the closing seconds, Diakite picked off an inbounds pass by the Great Danes (3-4) and made both free throws after being fouled.
Diakite, a redshirt freshman forward, also had eight rebounds to lead the Knights.
Isaac Sosa added 13 points, shooting 3-for-4 on 3-pointers, and Taylor Young scored 10 for Central Florida. Young's layup and free throw gave the Knights their 74-72 lead with just over 1 minute to play.
Tim Ambrose scored 25 points and Will Harris added 23 to pace Albany, combining for 19 of the Great Danes' 28 baskets.
The first meeting between the two schools was tied 37-37 at halftime.
- NCAA BB
UCF 76 FINAL
Nov 28 6:55 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ALBANY 37 37
UCF 37 37 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
ALBANY - WILL HARRIS 9, TIM AMBROSE 8,
MIKE JOHNSON 8
UCF - DAVE DIAKITE 10, THREE PLAYERS WITH 6
Nov 28 5:49 PM
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10
- Thomas leads Oklahoma past Albany Mar 21
- Albany challenges Oklahoma in East Regional action Mar 20
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14