Providence edges Northeastern 76-72Dec 2, 2009 - 2:20 AM BOSTON(AP) -- Jamine Peterson scored 18 points and Providence held off a late rally to defeat Northeastern 76-72 on Tuesday night.
Peterson, who added nine rebounds, hit a floater with 1 second on the shot clock and just 15.1 seconds left in the game for the final margin.
Sharaud Curry scored 13 of his game-high 19 points in the first half for the Friars (5-2), who avenged an upset loss to Northeastern last November.
Matt Janning scored 18 points for the Huskies (2-3). Chaisson Allen, who hit a halfcourt shot to give Northeastern a 70-67 win over Wright State on Saturday, scored four of his 13 points with less than 3 minutes to play.
Curry hit a long 3-pointer as time expired in the first half to give the Friars a 40-29 lead at the break.
Providence used a full-court press effectively for most of the first half, scoring 17 points off 10 turnovers.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PROVIDENCE 40 36 76
NORTHEASTERN 29 43 72 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: PROVIDENCE - SHARAUD CURRY 19, JAMINE PETERSON 18,
TWO PLAYERS WITH 11
NORTHEASTERN - MATT JANNING 18, MANNY ADAKO 14,
CHAISSON ALLEN 13
Dec 1 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHEASTERN 29 HALFTIME
Dec 1 7:49 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- Dunn staying at Providence Apr 24
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Irish survive upset bid in NCAA opener Mar 19
- Midwest Regional action pits Irish against Huskies Mar 19