George Washington defeats George Mason 66-49Dec 3, 2009 - 3:37 AM WASHINGTON(AP) -- Damian Hollis scored 25 points and George Washington defeated George Mason 66-49 on Wednesday night.
Dubbed the "Battle for the Orange Line," the game was advertised as a renewed rivalry between the cross-town teams who had not faced each other since Nov. 13, 1998.
The Colonials (5-1) are 9-1 all-time in the series.
The teams went nearly shot for shot in the first half, with George Washington leading 35-27 at halftime.
The Colonials remained in the lead with defense, with 14 defensive rebounds and seven steals in the first half.
George Mason (3-4) hit a 6-minute dry spell in the second half as George Washington scored 15 unanswered points to lead by as many as 21.
Luke Hancock led the Patriots with 11 points, but didn't score in the second half until 8 minutes remained.
- NCAA BB
GEORGE MASON 49
GEO WASHINGTON 66 FINAL
Dec 2 9:12 PM
- NCAA BB
GEORGE MASON 27
GEO WASHINGTON 35 HALFTIME
Dec 2 8:02 PM
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- George Mason senior Patrick Holloway suspended for 6 games Nov 10
- George Mason hires Bucknell's Paulsen as coach Mar 30
- George Mason dismisses Paul Hewitt Mar 16
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- Short-handed VCU handles George Mason Feb 5
- George Mason entertains No. 18 Virginia Commonwealth Feb 4
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- Oklahoma downs George Mason Dec 31
- 18th-ranked Sooners play host to Patriots Dec 31