Yale holds off Hartford 48-46Dec 3, 2009 - 2:57 AM WEST HARTFORD, Conn.(AP) -- Michael Sands' dunk with 2 seconds left sealed Yale's 48-46 win over Hartford on Wednesday night.
Trailing 39-37 with 5:42 left, Yale went on an 8-0 run during the next 3 minutes. Alex Zampier sank a pair of jumpers and a big 3-pointer, sparking the Bulldogs (3-5) to a 45-39 lead with just over 2 minutes to play.
Fueled by a 3-pointer and a layup from Joe Zeglinski, Hartford (2-5) pulled even at 46-46 with 12 seconds remaining. But Zeglinski couldn't make the free throw after being fouled on the layup, setting up Sands' game-winning dunk 10 seconds later.
The Bulldogs outrebounded the Hawks 38-26, and had 11 second-chance points to just three by Hartford.
Zampier finished with 15 points to pace Yale and Paul Nelson had 10 points and 11 boards. Sands added seven points.
Morgan Sabia led the Hawks with 15 and Zeglinski finished with 12.
- NCAA BB
HARTFORD 46 FINAL
Dec 2 8:51 PM
- NCAA BB
HARTFORD 24 HALFTIME
Dec 2 7:49 PM
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- No. 14 Notre Dame dismantles Hartford Dec 31
- Hartford seeks upset of No. 14 Notre Dame Dec 30
- Murray State beats Yale for CIT title Apr 3
- Racers host Bulldogs for CIT crown Apr 3