South Florida knocks off Howard 74-55Dec 3, 2009 - 2:32 AM TAMPA, Fla.(AP) -- Jarrid Famous had 16 points and 10 rebounds, leading South Florida to a 74-55 victory over Hampton on Wednesday night.
Dominique Jones and Chris Howard each scored 13 and Toarlyn Fitzpatrick added 11 for South Florida (7-1). Jones also had six rebounds and six assists, and Howard had eight assists.
Famous, a 6-foot-11 junior who played the past two seasons for Westchester Community College in New York, finished one point and two rebounds shy of career highs in only 28 minutes.
Charles Funches had 11 points and 10 rebounds, and Kwame Morgan scored 10 for Hampton (2-6).
The Pirates quickly fell behind after an emotional pregame tribute to team captain Theo Smalling, a Tampa native who died after an accidental shooting outside a Hampton nightclub before the season.
Hampton was down 18 midway through the first half and trailed 35-19 at the break.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Manhattan's Masiello can return after degree Apr 7