Virginia Commonwealth edges Rhode Island 82-80Dec 3, 2009 - 3:36 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Larry Sanders had 19 points and 11 rebounds and Virginia Commonwealth's Rams staggered to an 82-80 win over previously unbeaten Rhode Island's Rams on Wednesday night.
Virginia Commonwealth (5-1) missed the front end of three 1-and-1s in the final 28.1 seconds, while Rhode Island's Marquis Jones missed a halfcourt shot at the buzzer.
Brandon Rozzell's baseline jumper gave Virginia Commonwealth an 82-76 lead with 1:37 remaining. Akeem Richmond had a steal and layup to cut the lead to four with 56.8 seconds left and Will Martell's jumper made it 82-80 with 4 seconds remaining.
Rhode Island (4-1) dominated the rebounding 36-22, grabbing 14 offensive boards. The teams combined for 43 turnovers - 22 by Rhode Island.
Rozzell finished with 17 points and Joey Rodriguez added a career-high 10 assists.
Martell led Rhode Island with 18 points.
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 80
VA COMMONWEALTH 82 FINAL
Dec 2 9:39 PM
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 40
VA COMMONWEALTH 40 HALFTIME
Dec 2 8:26 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10