Columbia knocks off Lehigh 75-70Dec 4, 2009 - 2:27 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Brian Grimes and Patrick Foley scored 21 points each and Columbia held off Lehigh in the closing minutes for a 75-70 victory on Thursday night.
The Lions (3-3) led most of the second half, but couldn't pull away from Lehigh (3-3) in a game that featured eight ties and eight lead changes.
Columbia led 63-57, but Marquis Hall had a steal and a 3-pointer to cut the lead to 63-60 with 4:25 left in the game.
The Lions countered with Asenso Ampim's layup and Niko Scott's free throw for a 66-60 lead and went up 71-64 on another layup by Ampim with 24 seconds left.
Columbia's Noruwa Agho, who entered the game averaging 19.6 points, was held to five points, but Grimes and Foley combined to go 16-for-27 from the field to help the Lions finish 27-for-53 (50.9 percent).
Scott added 14 points for Columbia.
Hall scored 19 points and Gabe Knutson finished with 17 for Lehigh.
- Columbia hires Jim Engles as new basketball coach Apr 5
- Robert Morris holds off Lehigh in 69-67 win Dec 17
- Lo's 8 3s lead Columbia to 78-71 win over Robert Morris Dec 14
- Lehigh has no trouble with Rochester College, wins 84-50 Dec 5
- No. 1 Kentucky rallies to beat Columbia Dec 10
- No. 1 Kentucky plays host to Columbia Dec 10
- Ennis and Villanova down Lehigh Nov 15
- Lehigh faces tall task in opener against No. 12 Villanova Nov 14
- No. 2 Michigan State holds off Columbia Nov 15
- Lions hit road seeking upset of second-ranked Spartans Nov 15
- Lehigh's McCollum out 8-10 weeks with broken foot Jan 6
- Jefferson, Baylor easily dispatch Lehigh Nov 9