Liberty beats Charleston Southern 69-53Dec 4, 2009 - 4:04 AM LYNCHBURG, Va.(AP) -- Evan Gordon scored 21 points to lead Liberty to a 69-53 victory in the Big South Conference opener for both teams on Thursday night.
The Flames (4-5) shot 50 percent from the field (11-for-22) in the second half and held off a late charge from Charleston Southern (4-3), which trailed 52-48 on Jamarco Warren's free throw with 7:12 left in the game.
However, Liberty went on an 8-1 run that was capped by Gordon's three-point play for a 60-49 advantage with 5:34 left.
The Flames went 6-for-6 from the line in the final 2:12.
Kyle Ohman added 16 points and David Minaya scored 14 points for Liberty, which won despite committing 14 turnovers.
Warren led Charleston Southern with 17 points and Jeremy Sexton added 10 for the Buccaneers, who were 9-for-39 from the field (23.1 percent) in the first half and shot 26.6 percent (17-for-64) for the game.
- NCAA BB
CHARLESTON SOU 53
LIBERTY 69 FINAL
Dec 3 9:09 PM
- NCAA BB
CHARLESTON SOU 27
LIBERTY 30 HALFTIME
Dec 3 7:54 PM
- Kemrite's 3-pointers help Liberty top Summit 90-49 Nov 14
- Colorado State cruises past Charleston Southern Dec 23
- Baylor holds off Charleston Southern Nov 21
- Plenty of points expected in bout between Bucs and Bears Nov 20
- Bairstow leads Lobos over Buccaneers Nov 17
- Bucs and Lobos mix it up at The Pit Nov 17
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19
- Liberty wins Big South, going dancing with 20 losses Mar 10
- Buccaneers and Flames battle for Big South crown Mar 10
- No. 12 Arizona tops Charleston Southern Nov 11
- No. 12 Arizona opens season against Charleston Southern Nov 11