Rutgers defeats Princeton 58-44Dec 4, 2009 - 2:57 AM PISCATAWAY, N.J.(AP) -- Gregory Echenique scored 17 of his career-high 21 points in the second half as Rutgers defeated Princeton 58-44 on Thursday night.
Patrick Jackson had 11 first-half points for the Scarlet Knights (4-2), who beat Princeton (2-4) for the 10th time in the last 11 meetings.
After going scoreless against Florida, Echenique had 11 rebounds and three blocks while shooting 5-for-8 from the field and 11-for-12 from the free throw line.
Doug Davis had 20 points for Princeton, which shot 28.8 percent (15 of 52) in its fourth straight loss.
Rutgers led 29-16 in the first half before Princeton rallied within 29-25 early in the second. James Beatty's 3-pointer started a 19-9 run for Rutgers, which led 48-34 with 7:05 remaining.
Echenique had 10 points in the decisive run. The Scarlet Knights shot 37 percent (17 of 46), but blocked nine shots including four by Hamady Ndiaye.
- Rutgers raises $50 million in 4 months for athletics May 10
- Brandin Knight joins Rutgers basketball coaching staff Apr 18
- Rutgers confirms that Hobbs has joined Pikiell's staff Apr 14
- Jay Young hired as assistant basketball coach at Rutgers Apr 11
- Karl Hobbs leaves UConn to join Pikiell's staff at Rutgers Mar 31
- Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers basketball coach Mar 22
- AP source: Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers coach Mar 19
- Jordan fired as Rutgers basketball coach Mar 10
- Rutgers on verge of winless Big 10 Conference season Mar 3
- Rutgers suspends freshman Corey Sanders Feb 15
- Princeton forward Hans Brase to miss basketball season Nov 15
- Rutgers faces another tough season in Big Ten Conference Oct 27