Samford cruises past Elon 55-31Dec 4, 2009 - 4:17 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Josh Davis scored 12 points and Bryan Friday added 11 points, leading Samford to a 55-31 win over Elon in the Southern Conference opener for both teams on Thursday night.
Davis hit four 3 pointers for the Bulldogs (2-5), who finished 10-for-21 from beyond the arc (47.6 percent).
The Phoenix (2-6) shot just 3-for-25 from 3-point range (12 percent).
Samford jumped out to a 13-4 lead to open the game and never looked back. Jeffrey Merritt scored five of his seven points during the spree, connecting on a layup and a 3-pointer.
The Bulldogs led by 14 points at the half and increased their lead to 39-16 early in the second frame.
Josh Bonney led the Phoenix with nine points.
Samford shot 50 percent (21-for-42) from the floor compared to just a 26 percent mark (13-for-50) for Elon. The Bulldogs outscored Elon in the paint 18-8.
- NCAA BB
SAMFORD 55 FINAL
Dec 3 10:16 PM
- NCAA BB
SAMFORD 28 HALFTIME
Dec 3 9:23 PM
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13
- No. 1 Duke downs Elon to remain unbeaten Dec 20