St. Peter's 56, Iona 54Dec 5, 2009 - 3:16 AM NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. (AP) -- Wesley Jenkins scored 12 of his 16 points in the second half and St. Peter's defeated Iona 56-54 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opener for both teams on Friday night.
St. Peter's (3-3) trailed 24-22 at halftime and Alejo Rodriguez's layup put the Gaels (4-3) ahead by four, 16 seconds into the second half.
The Peacocks responded with a 10-5 run, which included three steals, for their first lead of the half, 32-29, on a 3-pointer by Ryan Bacon with 14:57 to play.
Iona would reclaim the lead and hold a 47-46 advantage with 5:18 remaining, before four straight points by St. Peter's. Darius Conley hit a free throw and Jenkins made a 3-pointer to put the Peacocks up for good at 50-47 with 4:14 left to play.
Jonathan Huffman scored 14 points and Alejo Rodriguez added 11 for the Gaels, who shot 29.6 percent from the field in the second half (8 of 27).
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10
- Cluess given extension at Iona Mar 6