Oregon State defeats Colorado, 74-69Dec 5, 2009 - 7:13 AM CORVALLIS, Ore.(AP) -- Calvin Haynes scored 19 points, including the go-ahead basket with 1:08 remaining, and Oregon State held on to defeat Colorado 74-69 Friday night.
The Beavers (3-3) also got 14 points from Seth Tarver, 13 from Jared Cunningham and 10 from Roeland Schaftenaar. The game was tight all the way, with neither team leading by more than seven points at any time. But the Beavers outscored Colorado 10-2 down the stretch.
Colorado's last lead was at 69-68 with 1:35 to go after a pair of free throws by Marcus Relphorde, who had 13 points for the Buffaloes (5-3). But Haynes' basket gave Oregon State the lead, then Cunningham and Tarver each made a pair of free throws to put it away.
Alec Burks led the Buffaloes with 19 points and nine rebounds, and Cory Higgins scored 15 points.
The game was part of the Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series. It was the first victory for the Pac-10 in five games.
Oregon State scored 12 of its last 14 points at the free-throw line. After Haynes' basket, Colorado's Nate Tomlinson missed two free throws with 46 seconds remaining.
Oregon State took its first lead since 2-0 on a Cunningham layin with 12:37 left in the game to go up 46-45. But Colorado quickly regained the lead with four straight points.
Cunningham's two free throws with 8:16 left capped a 6-0 run as Oregon State took a 56-53 lead, the Beavers' largest advantage to that point.
Colorado regained the lead at 67-64 on consecutive 3-pointers by Relphorde, the second with 2:33 left.
- NCAA BB
OREGON ST 74 FINAL
Dec 5 1:03 AM
- NCAA BB
OREGON ST 31 HALFTIME
Dec 4 11:53 PM
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Anglin scores 20, Northern Colorado tops Montana State 78-76 Jan 16
- Oregon State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Oregon State Beavers no longer the Pac-12 surprise Oct 28
- Boyle, Buffs look to rebound from disappointing season Oct 28
- Colorado Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Colorado's Xavier Johnson tears Achilles Jun 25