Sacred Heart holds off Monmouth 81-73Dec 5, 2009 - 9:31 PM FAIRFIELD, Conn.(AP) -- Chauncey Hardy scored 18 points and three others reached double figures as Sacred Heart beat Monmouth 81-73 on Saturday in the Northeast Conference opener for both teams.
Corey Hasssan added 17 points and nine rebounds for the Pioneers. Ryan Litke and Mehmet Sahan each scored 13.
The Pioneers (4-3) led 41-16 in the first half on the strength of 60 percent field goal shooting (17-for-27). A big portion of that lead was built by a 20-2 Pioneers' run capped by a Jerrell Thompson layup with 10:40 to play in the half.
The Hawks (2-6) went 12:06 in the first half without a field goal.
The Hawks trimmed the lead to 69-64 with 3:35 to play after runs of 13-2 and 10-5. The Pioneers' defense stiffened and the Hawks got no closer the rest of the way.
Whitney Coleman scored 26 points for the Hawks to lead all scorers. Travis Taylor and Will Campbell added 14 points apiece.
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Pryor leads Robert Morris over Sacred Heart 73-63 Feb 25
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18
- Sacred Heart rallies to beat Robert Morris 69-65 Jan 2
- GIF away, Monmouth! NCAA not stopping bench celebrations Dec 9
- Surprising Monmouth basketball winning and having fun Dec 3
- Russell leads No. 20 Ohio State in rout of Sacred Heart Nov 23
- Buckeyes play host to Pioneers Nov 23
- Syracuse destroys Monmouth Dec 8
- Hawks face tall task in clash with fourth-ranked Orange Dec 8
- No. 20 Notre Dame dominates Monmouth Nov 12
- Monmouth seeks upset of Notre Dame Nov 12