Drexel edges Northeastern 49-47Dec 5, 2009 - 11:56 PM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Samme Givens scored a season-high 16 points as Drexel held off Northeastern 49-47 on Saturday in the Colonial Athletic Association opener for both teams.
The Huskies missed two shots on the game's final possession, including an attempt at the buzzer.
After Drexel (4-5) scored six points in the final 1:32 of the first half to tie the game at 25, Jamie Harris made two baskets to give the Dragons the lead for good at 29-27 with 16:06 left.
Northeastern (2-4) pulled within 41-40 on a Baptiste Bataille jumper with 4:42 left, but could get no closer.
Evan Neisler hit two free throws to give Drexel a 49-45 edge with a minute left, then Matt Janning hit two foul shots for 49-47 with 49 seconds left. After a Harris turnover, Nkem Ojougboh missed a 15-footer with 5 seconds left and Janning missed a shot as time expired.
Janning finished with 17 points for the Huskies.
- NCAA BB
DREXEL 49 FINAL
Dec 5 6:01 PM
- NCAA BB
DREXEL 25 HALFTIME
Dec 5 4:54 PM
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- Lee transfers to Louisville Apr 23
- Irish survive upset bid in NCAA opener Mar 19
- Midwest Regional action pits Irish against Huskies Mar 19
- Northeastern dancing for first time since 1991 Mar 9
- Huskies and Tribe meet for CAA crown Mar 9
- Drexel can't hold early lead, falls to No. 4 Arizona Nov 27
- Wildcats set sights on Dragons in NIT Season Tip-Off Nov 27
- UCLA wins opener over Drexel Nov 9
- Alford era begins, as Bruins battle Dragons Nov 8
- James Madison wins CAA crown, ends NCAA tourney drought Mar 12