Holmes paces Morgan State over Coppin State 80-67Dec 6, 2009 - 12:18 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Reggie Holmes scored 24 points as Morgan State opened Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference play with an 80-67 victory over crosstown rival Coppin State on Saturday.
Kevin Thompson added 15 points and 14 rebounds for the Bears (5-3), who amassed a 47-31 advantage on the boards against the Eagles (4-3).
Holmes, who came in averaging 24.7 points per game, shot 8-for-18 for Morgan State, which made 51.7 percent of its shots (15-for-29) in the second half to 41.3 percent (15-for-36) for Coppin State.
Ceslovas Kucinskas scored 15 points and Vince Goldsberry 14 to lead Coppin State, both making 6 of 8 shots, but the Eagles' backcourt struggled from the field.
Lenny Young, who had been Coppin State's leading scorer at 13.6 points per game, shot just 1-for-14 against the Bears and finished with two points.
- NCAA BB
MORGAN ST 80
COPPIN ST 67 FINAL
Dec 5 5:59 PM
- NCAA BB
MORGAN ST 34
COPPIN ST 25 HALFTIME
Dec 5 5:05 PM
- Mitchell out at Coppin State after 28 years Mar 28
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Gonzaga cruises past Coppin State Dec 1
- No. 11 Gonzaga plays host to Coppin State Dec 1
- Irvin helps Michigan cruise past Coppin State Nov 29
- Wolverines set sights on Eagles Nov 29
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16