Wisseh, LIU hold off Central Connecticut St. 69-65Dec 6, 2009 - 12:47 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Jaytornah Wisseh scored 20 points, including two free throws with 5 seconds left, as Long Island University held off Central Connecticut State on Saturday.
The Blackbirds (4-3, 2-0 Northeast Conference) led 61-48 with 6:14 remaining, but the Blue Devils (2-4, 1-1) whittled it to 65-63 with 24 seconds left.
LIU's Kyle Johnson made two free throws with 19 seconds to go for a 67-63 lead, but Joe Seymore's jumper made it a two-point game with 6 seconds left.
Wisseh was quickly fouled by Devan Bailey and made both shots.
After trailing by nine in the second half, the Blue Devils got within 45-42 before a 10-0 run over a span of 3:21 put LIU ahead 55-42. Michael Culpo, who scored 15 points off the bench, had a pair of 3-pointers in that run.
Seymore and David Simmons led Central Connecticut State with 15 points each.
- NCAA BB
CENTRAL CONN 65
LONG ISLAND 69 FINAL
Dec 5 6:23 PM
- NCAA BB
CENTRAL CONN 24
LONG ISLAND 28 HALFTIME
Dec 5 5:13 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Ross leads No. 5 Buckeyes over CCSU Dec 7
- Blue Devils face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Buckeyes Dec 7
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- LIU Brooklyn downs Mount St. Mary's, wins NEC title Mar 12
- NEC crown up for grabs as Blackbirds take on Mountaineers Mar 12
- Boeheim matches Knight as Syracuse rolls Dec 31