Williams leads Memphis past Arkansas State 74-55Dec 6, 2009 - 3:26 AM MEMPHIS, Tenn.(AP) -- Elliot Williams scored 20 points, and Willie Kemp and Doneal Mack added 11 apiece as Memphis overcame a woeful shooting night to defeat Arkansas State 74-55 on Saturday night.
The Tigers (5-1) missed 14 of their first 15 shots, but eventually erased a 13-point first-half deficit to win their fourth straight game. Memphis ended the night shooting 39.1 percent (27-for-69) and used 11 unanswered points in the second half to overtake the Red Wolves.
It marked the fifth straight game that Williams, a sophomore off-season transfer from Duke, has scored at least 20 points. Kemp added six assists on the night.
JeJuan Brown led Arkansas State (3-4) with 17 points, while Brandon Reed finished with 14. Martavius Adams added 11 points and 12 rebounds before fouling out.
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Arkansas State fined, vacates win after apparel violation Apr 13
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31
- No. 11 Wichita State beats Memphis Nov 18