Eastern Kentucky defeats Tennessee-Martin 85-74Dec 6, 2009 - 3:01 AM MARTIN, Tenn.(AP) -- Papa Oppong scored 18 points and Eastern Kentucky defeated Tennessee-Martin 85-74 on Saturday night.
Oppong, averaging 17.7 points over the past three games, was 7-for-10 against the Skyhawks.
The Colonels (6-2, 1-1 Ohio Valley Conference) shot 64.3 percent from the field (27 of 42), including 57.9 percent from 3-point range (11 of 19).
Eastern Kentucky led 22-21 with 8:16 left in the first half, and went on an 18-4 run throughout the next five minutes. Oppong put the Colonels ahead 40-25 on a 3-pointer with 3:35 left until halftime.
Josh Taylor scored 16 points, Joshua Jones 13 and Spencer Perrin 11 for Eastern Kentucky, which picked up its first road win of the season. Perrin and Jones scored 11 points each in the first half.
Benzor Simmons had 29 points and 11 rebounds for the Skyhawks (1-5, 0-2), who have lost six of their last seven against the Colonels.
- Bulldogs seek to ground Skyhawks Dec 22
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21
- Tennesse-Martin tabs Schroyer as new hoops coach Mar 21
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Tennesse-Martin hoops coach James won't return Mar 3