South Dakota State rallies for 80-74 victoryDec 6, 2009 - 4:06 AM MACOMB, Ill.(AP) -- South Dakota State overcame a 14-point, second-half deficit to defeat Western Illinois 80-74 Saturday.
The Jackrabbits (3-5, 1-1 Summit League) trailed 46-32 with 17:15 remaining but shot 60 percent (15 for 25) from the field and 46.2 percent from 3-point range (6 for 13) in the second half to get back in it.
South Dakota took the lead at 68-67 with 2:36 left and still led by one, 73-72, with 53 seconds remaining when Michael Palarca hit a 3-pointer to extend the lead.
Palarca led the Jackrabbits with 14 points, four assists and three steals. Kai Williams added 11 points and Garrett Callahan had 10.
Western Illinois (3-5, 0-2) shot 58.3 percent during the game but was outrebounded 40-22. Matt Lander led the Leathernecks with 17 points. James Granstra, Ceola Clark and Jeremy Felton each had 12.
- NCAA BB
SO DAKOTA ST 80
WESTRN ILLINOIS 74 FINAL
Dec 5 10:05 PM
- NCAA BB
SO DAKOTA ST 29
WESTRN ILLINOIS 37 HALFTIME
Dec 5 8:57 PM
- South Dakota St hires Otzelberger as men's basketball coach Apr 14
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- South Dakota State beats D-II Wayne State 80-53 Dec 2
- Bittle scores 23, South Dakota St. beats Chadron St., 87-52 Nov 14
- Bison edge Jackrabbits in Summit final thriller Mar 10
- Bison battle Jackrabbits in Summit League finale Mar 10
- No. 23 Northern Iowa tops South Dakota St. Dec 28
- Jackrabbits come calling on 23rd-ranked Panthers Dec 28
- No. 14 Utah tops South Dakota State Dec 24