Rhode Island beats Providence, 86-82Dec 5, 2009 - 9:16 PM KINGSTON, R.I.(AP) -- Keith Cothran scored 19 points, going 6-for-6 from the free throw line in the final 2 minutes as Rhode Island rallied past Providence 86-82 on Saturday.
The decisive play came with the game tied 78-78, as the Rams' Orion Outerbridge blocked Jamine Peterson's lay-up attempt and Cothran was fouled after grabbing the rebound. He stepped to the line and sank both free throws, putting Rhode Island (5-1) up for good.
Five players reached double figures for the Rams, who forced 19 Providence turnovers.
Peterson had a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Friars.
Providence (5-3) led by as many as 16 in the opening minutes of the second half, but the Rams responded with a 14-1 run that pulled them within three, 54-51.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PROVIDENCE 49 33 82
RHODE ISLAND 35 51 86 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: PROVIDENCE - JAMINE PETERSON 18, SHARAUD CURRY 17,
VINCENT COUNCIL 16
RHODE ISLAND - KEITH COTHRAN 21, DELROY JAMES 12, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 11
Dec 5 3:07 PM
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 35 HALFTIME
Dec 5 1:53 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Dunn staying at Providence Apr 24
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20