Late dunk lifts Ole Miss past Southern Miss 81-79Dec 5, 2009 - 8:44 PM OXFORD, Miss.(AP) -- Mississippi's Eniel Polynice slammed a breakaway dunk with 2 seconds remaining to lift the Rebels to an 81-79 win over Southern Mississippi on Saturday.
The decisive dunk, off a long defensive rebound and assist from Chris Warren, capped a rally that erased Southern Mississippi's 77-71 lead in the final minute. Warren led the Rebels (7-1) with 20 points and six assists, and Polynice added 15.
Southern Mississippi (5-1) was led by Gary Flowers with 20 points. The Golden Eagles were 32 of 60 from the field (53 percent), but misfired three times in the final 10 seconds before the decisive play.
Angelo Johnson scored 16 points and Maurice Bolden and R.L. Horton had 10 apiece for the Golden Eagles.
Terrico White and Zach Graham scored 15 points each, and Murphy Holloway added 10 for the Rebels.
The Rebels were 30-for-65 from the field (47 percent).
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTHERN MISS 36 43 79
MISSISSIPPI 32 49 81 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: SOUTHERN MISS - GARY FLOWERS 20, ANGELO JOHNSON 16, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 10
MISSISSIPPI - CHRIS WARREN 20, THREE PLAYERS WITH 15
Dec 5 2:59 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 36
OLE MISS 32 HALFTIME
Dec 5 1:50 PM
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Mississippi tries to hold off surging Mississippi State Mar 1
- Mississippi's Saiz returns from eye injury Feb 12
- Guard Stefan Moody lighting up SEC scoreboards for Ole Miss Jan 15
- Xavier handles Ole Miss Mar 19
- Xavier begins tournament against Ole Miss Mar 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- Late shot sends Arkansas past Ole Miss Feb 15
- Arkansas and Ole Miss clash in SEC showdown Feb 14
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- Ole Miss knocks off No. 19 Arkansas Jan 18