Carter, Longwood defeat Florida Gulf Coast 82-75Dec 5, 2009 - 9:55 PM FARMVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Antwan Carter scored a season-high 20 points to lead Longwood to an 82-75 victory over Florida Gulf Coast on Saturday in a matchup of winless teams.
Dana Smith added 17 points and a game-high 12 rebounds - his second double-double of the season - for the Lancers (1-8), who also got a season-high 17 points from Kevin Swecker.
Smith's layup with 3:14 remaining put Longwood ahead to stay, 75-73, after the Eagles (0-6) had rallied from a 12-point deficit to tie it on two free throws by Reed Baker.
After Florida Gulf Coast led most of the first half, Longwood tied it, 22-22, on E.J. Dawson's 3-pointer 6:18 before halftime and took the lead on a 3-pointer by Swecker with 5:44 left.
Anthony Banks, who led Florida Gulf Coast with 19 points, gave the Eagles their last lead of the half, 32-30, but Longwood's Aaron Mitchell answered with a 3-pointer 33 seconds before intermission.
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 75
LONGWOOD 82 FINAL
Dec 5 4:05 PM
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 32
LONGWOOD 36 HALFTIME
Dec 5 2:52 PM
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Dooley tabbed as FGCU men's basketball coach Apr 17
- Cinderella's run ends; Gators oust FGCU Mar 30
- Surprising Eagles set sights on Gators in Sweet 16 Mar 28
- FGCU moves into Sweet 16 by stunning Aztecs Mar 25
- Upstart Eagles take on Aztecs in South Regional dust-up Mar 23
- Shocking debut: FGCU sends Georgetown packing Mar 23
- Hoyas set sights on upstart Eagles in South Regional matchup Mar 21
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14