William & Mary defeats VCU 75-74Dec 5, 2009 - 7:52 PM WILLIAMSBURG, Va.(AP) -- David Schneider's free throw with 3 seconds left lifted William & Mary past Virginia Commonwealth 75-74 on Saturday.
With the score 69-69 the Tribe (6-2, 1-0 Colonial Athletic Association), off to their best start since 1992-93, went on a 5-2 run to lead 74-71 with 23 seconds left on Sean McCurdy's free throw.
Ed Nixon then tied the game on a three-point play, before Schneider was fouled.
Schneider finished with 18 points, Quinn McDowell 16 and McCurdy 15 for the Tribe, who won their sixth straight.
The Tribe trailed 45-31 with 16:43 to play before going on a 22-11 run to pull within 56-53 with 11:17 remaining.
The Tribe then tied the game at 59-59 on two straight 3 pointers. McCurdy made two free throws to put them ahead for the first time since midway through the first half, 63-62, with 7:19 to play.
Nixon had 18 points for the Rams (5-2, 0-1).
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 74
WILLIAM & MARY 75 FINAL
Dec 5 2:09 PM
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 40
WILLIAM & MARY 27 HALFTIME
Dec 5 12:51 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7