Winthrop defeats High Point 82-68Dec 6, 2009 - 2:51 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Reggie Middleton hit four 3-pointers on his way to scoring 25 points to lead Winthrop to an 82-68 victory over High Point on Saturday night.
Middleton led four Eagles (2-4, 1-1 Big South Conference) in double figures as Winthrop snapped a three-game losing streak with a strong second half.
Winthrop was 13-for-24 from the field (54.2 percent) in the second half and pulled away from High Point (4-3, 1-1) after the Panthers took a 54-53 lead on Andre Jones' jumper with 8:14 left in the game.
Middleton keyed a 10-0 run by scoring eight points - including two 3-pointers - with an assist on the other basket as the Eagles stretched their advantage to 63-54.
Jones scored 13 points, Robbie Dreher added 11 and Gideon Gamble finished with 10 points for Winthrop, which outrebounded High Point 35-25.
Nick Barbour and Eugene Harris scored 17 points each for the Panthers.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Ohio State crushes High Point Dec 11
- 12th-ranked Buckeyes take aim at Panthers Dec 10
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- Huge second-half run lifts No. 2 Orange past High Point Dec 20
- High Point faces uphill climb in clash with No. 2 Syracuse Dec 20
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16