Virginia Tech beats Georgia 74-62Dec 6, 2009 - 10:46 PM BLACKSBURG, Va.(AP) -- Malcolm Delaney scored 19 of his 31 points in the second half to lift Virginia Tech past Georgia 74-62 on Sunday.
With the score tied at 18-all, the Hokies (6-1) scored 10 straight to take a 28-18 lead and they never trailed again.
In the second half, Delaney - the ACC's leading scorer at 21.2 points per game entering the game - scored 12 of Virginia Tech's first 16 points, helping the Hokies build a 15-point lead.
Georgia (4-3) cut the lead to six on a free throw by Trey Thompkins with 7:56 left in the game, but got no closer.
Delaney was 10 of 19 from the floor as the Hokies hit a season-high 47.2 percent (25-for-53). He also grabbed five rebounds and dished out five assists.
Virginia Tech was 18-for-19 from the foul line compared to Georgia, which hit 16 of 22 at the line.
Travis Leslie led the Bulldogs with 17 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GEORGIA 27 35 62
VIRGINIA TECH 36 38 74 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: GEORGIA - TRAVIS LESLIE 17, JEREMY PRICE 10,
DUSTIN WARE 10
VIRGINIA TECH - MALCOLM DELANEY 31, JEFF ALLEN 11,
VICTOR DAVILA 11
Dec 6 5:26 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 36 HALFTIME
Dec 6 4:17 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4
- Georgia bracing for road trips to LSU and No. 17 Baylor Jan 25
- No. 2 North Carolina's game at Virginia Tech moved to 3 p.m. Jan 23
- Georgia looking for turnaround following ugly loss to Aggies Jan 19
- Georgia defeats Robert Morris 79-67 Dec 29
- Georgia Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Georgia's Fox pushing for consistency after reaching NCAAs Oct 29
- Virginia Tech Preview Capsule Oct 26