Providence defeats Brown 78-62Dec 8, 2009 - 2:35 AM PROVIDENCE, R.I.(AP) -- Jamine Peterson scored 22 points and Bilal Dixon added 13 points and six rebounds as Providence defeated Brown 78-62 on Monday night.
The Friars (6-3) trailed 9-4 after scoring the game's first four points.
Providence, however, used a 24-16 rebounding advantage in the first half to overcome the Bears' 44.4 percent shooting in the period (12 of 27). The Friars attempted 13 more shots in the half - making 40 percent (16 of 40) - and led 37-33 at halftime.
Providence's defense stepped up in the second half, pressuring Brown (4-7) the full length of the court, leading to a 14-0 run in under 3 minutes.
Peterson scored 16 points and had seven rebounds in the second half as Dixon lost minutes due to foul trouble for the Friars.
Brown's Matt Sullivan, who was 4 of 5 from 3-point range in the first half, finished with 12 points. Andrew McCarthy added 14 for the Bears.
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12