Knox tip-in helps Auburn beat Virginia 68-67Dec 8, 2009 - 3:50 AM By JOHN ZENOR AP Sports Writer
AUBURN, Ala.(AP) -- Brendon Knox's tip-in with 1.4 seconds left lifted Auburn to a 68-67 victory over Virginia on Monday night.
Sammy Zeglinski hit three free throws to give the Cavaliers the lead with 7.7 seconds left. Then DeWayne Reed drove the length of the court and missed a layup, but Knox was there to give the Tigers (5-4) the win.
Virginia (4-4) didn't get a shot off before the buzzer.
Knox finished with 11 points and six rebounds, nearly doubling his season averages, and made all five field goal attempts.
Reed led Auburn with 18 points. Lucas Hargrove had 13 points and nine rebounds, while Frankie Sullivan added 12 points and Tay Waller 10 for the Tigers.
Sylven Landesberg had 17 of his 20 points in the first half for Virginia, missing all seven attempts after the half. Zeglinski made five 3-pointers and scored 18 points.
- NCAA BB
AUBURN 68 FINAL
Dec 7 10:04 PM
- NCAA BB
AUBURN 32 HALFTIME
Dec 7 8:55 PM
- Auburn players Shamsid-Deen, Reed won't return next season May 6
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4