Minnesota routs Morgan State 94-64Dec 9, 2009 - 2:10 AM By JON KRAWCZYNSKI AP Sports Writer
MINNEAPOLIS(AP) -- Blake Hoffarber had 18 points and Minnesota scored the first 18 points of the game in a 94-64 victory over Morgan State on Tuesday night.
Lawrence Westbrook added 14 points, four assists and four steals for the Gophers (6-3).
Kevin Thompson had 17 points and a career-high 19 rebounds for Morgan State (5-4). Reggie Holmes scored 26 points and had a career-high five steals, but shot just 9 of 28 from the field.
The Gophers led 9-0 before Morgan State even managed a field goal attempt and the Bears shot just 26 percent in the decisive first half.
The Gophers even handed the Bears their first points of the game - literally. During a scramble for a rebound under the basket, Gophers center Colton Iverson inadvertently knocked the ball into the Morgan State basket. Thompson was credited with the basket as the closest Bear, and MSU was finally on the board after 8:31.
- NCAA BB
MORGAN ST 64
MINNESOTA 94 FINAL
Dec 8 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MORGAN STATE 21 21
MINNESOTA 43 43 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
MORGAN STATE - REGGIE HOLMES 10, TROY SMITH 3, FOUR
PLAYERS WITH 2
MINNESOTA - BLAKE HOFFARBER 12, DAMIAN JOHNSON 11,
THREE PLAYERS WITH 4
Dec 8 7:46 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29
- Despite dismal season, Pitino exudes optimism for future Mar 10
- Pitino to assess status of 3 suspended players after season Mar 8
- Suspended Minnesota player reported theft of phone to police Mar 3
- Minnesota's Pitino suspends 3 players for rest of season Mar 1
- AP source: Minnesota players punished for explicit video Feb 29