Crutcher, Tennessee State edge Detroit 70-69Dec 9, 2009 - 3:10 AM DETROIT(AP) -- Jeremiah Crutcher's basket with 25 seconds left pulled Tennessee State to a 70-69 nonconference victory over Detroit on Tuesday night.
Tennessee State's Hamilton Nash then blocked Woody Payne's shot with seven seconds left. Detroit got the ball back, but Payne missed his final attempt at the buzzer.
Josh Sain scored 25 points and Wil Peters added 15 for the Tigers (2-8), who ended a four-game losing streak. Sain shot 7 of 14 and 3 of 7 on 3-pointers, and he sank 8 of 9 free throws.
Thomas Kennedy led Detroit (6-3) with 14 points. Chase Simon added 13, Donavan Foster had 11 and Xavier Keeling scored 10.
Detroit made two more baskets, 26-24, but shot only 3 of 9 on 3-pointers, whereas Tennessee State shot 55.8 percent, including 8 of 18 from 3-point distance.
Tennessee State was outrebounded 31-21 but blocked six shots to none by the Titans.
- NCAA BB
TENNESSEE ST 70
DETROIT 69 FINAL
Dec 8 9:07 PM
- NCAA BB
TENNESSEE ST 38
DETROIT 34 HALFTIME
Dec 8 7:56 PM
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- Guyn's 26 lead E. Tennessee St. in 103-90 win over Green Bay Nov 17
- Hapless Tigers challenge high-flying Frogs Dec 29
- Wichita State rallies past Detroit Dec 13
- Titans seek upset of 11th-ranked Shockers Dec 13
- Anderson, Gill power No. 8 Virginia past Tennessee State Nov 26
- Tennessee State comes calling on No. 8 Virginia Nov 25
- No. 24 Michigan pulls away to beat Detroit Nov 20
- Intrastate rivals collide, as Titans visit Wolverines Nov 20
- Tennessee State names Dana Ford head coach Apr 21
- Cotton, No. 16 Wichita State take down Tennessee State Nov 16
- Tigers face daunting task in clash with 16th-ranked Shockers Nov 16