Delaware holds off Hampton 55-52Dec 10, 2009 - 2:59 AM NEWARK, Del.(AP) -- Jawan Carter scored seven of his 12 points in the final 44 seconds and Josh Brinkley came off the bench to score a career-high 13 points as Delaware held off Hampton 55-52 on Wednesday night.
The Blue Hens (2-6) snapped a four-game losing skid in a game that was tied 12 times.
The Pirates (2-8) took a 49-48 lead with 2:02 left on two free throws by Michael Freeman, then Carter hit a 3-pointer with 49 seconds left to put Delaware ahead 51-49. Carter added two free throws with 20 seconds remaining for a four-point margin -- the largest of the half -- but Hampton cut it to one with Vincent Simpson's 3 with 14 seconds to go.
Carter hit a pair of foul shots, then Simpson missed a 3-pointer with 5 seconds on the clock and Brinkley rebounded.
Carter has reached double figures in 31 of 40 games at Delaware.
Simpson and Freeman scored 13 points apiece for Hampton.
- NCAA BB
DELAWARE 55 FINAL
Dec 9 9:05 PM
- NCAA BB
DELAWARE 26 HALFTIME
Dec 9 7:49 PM
- Delaware fires men's basketball coach Monte Ross Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Late free throw helps Delaware top Fairleigh Dickinson 73-72 Nov 24
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- Villanova routs Delaware Nov 30
- Undefeated Wildcats entertain hapless Blue Hens Nov 30