Kool, Western Michigan stop Eastern Illinois 69-58Dec 10, 2009 - 4:29 AM CHARLESTON, Ill.(AP) -- David Kool scored 34 points, going 8-for-13 on 3-pointers, to lead Western Michigan to a 69-58 victory over Eastern Illinois on Wednesday night.
Kool went 11-for-18 from long distance and made eight of Western Michigan's 10 3-pointers. Flenard Whitfield added 14 points and Martelle McLemore 12.
Tyler Laser led Eastern Illinois with 17 points, and Ousmane Cisse grabbed 10 rebounds.
Kool scored 19 of Western Michigan's first 25 points. Then, after Eastern Illinois (4-4) fought back to tie it 56-56 with 4:38 left, Kool sealed it for Western Michigan (3-3) by scoring eight of its last 13.
The Broncos led 33-28 at halftime, but the Panthers battled back to tie it 56-56 on Curry McKinney's two free throws with 4:38 left. However, Kool answered immediately with a 3-pointer. The Panthers were held without a field goal for the final 7:06.
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- Groselle, Creighton down Eastern Illinois Nov 26
- Panthers visit Bluejays in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 25
- Syracuse dominates Western Michigan in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Broncos and Orange clash in South Region's second round Mar 20
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Missouri tops Western Michigan, extends home streak Dec 15
- Tigers hope to continue perfect run against visiting Broncos Dec 15
- Leslie and Wolfpack take down Broncos Dec 29
- No. 23 Wolfpack welcome Broncos to Raleigh Dec 29
- Wolverines make quick work of Western Michigan Dec 5