New Mexico beats San Diego 82-78 for 9-0 startDec 10, 2009 - 5:29 AM SAN DIEGO(AP) -- Roman Martinez scored a career-high 26 points to lead New Mexico to its ninth straight victory, 82-78 over San Diego Wednesday night.
Martinez, who connected on his first seven shots from 3-point land, scored eight straight points midway through the second half, when the Lobos broke away from a 47-47 tie to take control.
The loss was the fourth in a row for San Diego (4-6). New Mexico is 9-0 for the first time since 1995-96 when the Lobos won their first 10 games.
The Lobos, who trailed 30-20 with 4:25 left in the first half, were only down 34-32 by halftime.
Martinez finished 8-for-9 to tie a school record for 3-point shooting percentage (88.9). Dairese Gary added a career-high 21 points and four assists for New Mexico.
De'Jon Jackson had 22 points to lead San Diego, which finished the game on a 14-5 run.
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- No. 7 Gonzaga holds off San Diego Dec 30
- Toreros host Bulldogs in WCC action Dec 29