Western Kentucky downs Vanderbilt 76-69Dec 12, 2009 - 5:04 AM By TERESA M. WALKER AP Sports Writer
NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- A.J. Slaughter scored 27 points, and Western Kentucky beat Vanderbilt 76-69 Friday night for the Hilltoppers' first win in this sporadic series since 1945 in the second game of the Sun Belt Classic.
These teams hadn't met since 2001, and Vanderbilt (6-3) had won the last 10 including the last meeting in 2001.
No. 9 Tennessee beat Middle Tennessee 75-54 in the first game of a night that gave Vanderbilt and Tennessee an early chance to play at the Sommet Center where the SEC tournament will be held in March.
But Western Kentucky (5-3) got some balanced scoring and led most of the game in beating Vanderbilt for the first time since Jan. 23, 1945. Sergio Kerusch added 15 points and Jeremy Evans had 12.
Jeffery Taylor led the Commodores, who lost their second straight game, with 21 points, and Jermaine Beal had 12.
- NCAA BB
WKU 76 FINAL
Dec 11 11:54 PM
- NCAA BB
WKU 37 HALFTIME
Dec 11 10:39 PM
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29
- Big swing: Stumbling Vanderbilt revives NCAA tourney hopes Feb 25
- No. 21 Vanderbilt blows 16-point lead, loses 72-67 to Dayton Dec 10
- Vanderbilt junior Luke Kornet out 4-6 weeks with torn MCL Dec 9