Brackins leads Iowa State past rival Iowa 81-71Dec 12, 2009 - 3:13 AM By LUKE MEREDITH AP Sports Writer
AMES, Iowa(AP) -- Craig Brackins tied his season high with 28 points as Iowa State snapped a three-game losing streak by beating rival Iowa 81-71 Friday night.
Marquis Gilstrap added 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Cyclones (7-3), who posted their fourth straight home win over the Hawkeyes dating to 2003.
The Cyclones opened a 41-27 halftime lead behind 20 points from Brackins, who hit four 3-pointers and finished 9 of 13 from the field. They maintained a comfortable double-digit lead until the final minute.
Iowa State shot 58 percent and had 16 assists against just nine turnovers.
Matt Gatens had 20 points and Jarryd Cole chipped in with 16 for Iowa (3-7), which lost for the second time in three games under interim head coach Chad Walthall.
Coach Todd Lickliter, who is recovering from surgery, is expected to return to the sidelines for next week's home game against Drake.
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26