Southern defeats New Orleans 78-73Dec 13, 2009 - 3:23 AM BATON ROUGE, La.(AP) -- Earnest Jones scored 25 points and led Southern University to a 78-73 win over New Orleans on Saturday.
Jones shot 9-for-16 and grabbed eight rebounds for the Jaguars (1-8). Brian White added 12 points in the win, while Jazz Williams chipped in with 11.
The Jaguars held a slim two-point lead when New Orleans' Billy Humphrey made two free throws to tie the score at 73 with 1:47 left in the game. But Southern would outscore New Orleans 5-0 the rest of the way, making 3 of 6 free throws.
The Privateers (5-3) were paced by Humphrey, who scored 27 points and blocked two shots. Charles Carmouche chipped in with 14 points.
The Jaguars scored 33 points off 21 turnovers by the Privateers. Southern only committed eight turnovers.
Southern outscored New Orleans 14-2 on fast-break points.
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22
- No. 1 Arizona beats Southern, moves to 12-0 Dec 20