Sam Houston State rolls to 69-40 victoryDec 12, 2009 - 10:50 PM HUNTSVILLE, Texas(AP) -- Gilberto Clavell scored 21 points Saturday to lead Sam Houston State to a 69-40 victory over Ecclesia College.
Corey Allmond and Preston Brown added 15 and 11 points, respectively, for the Bearkats (6-3).
Ecclesia (9-6), a member of the National Christian Collegiate Athletic Association, was led by Robert Valentine with nine points.
The Royals kept the game close in the first half, trailing by only eight, 26-18, with 1:31 to play. But the Bearkats went on a 7-0 run to go up 33-18 at intermission. Sam Houston outscored the Royals 36-22 in the second half.
"Ecclesia did a good job of holding the ball and working the clock offensively and that allowed us to get a lot of repetitions defensively which is something we need," Sam Houston coach Bob Marlin said. "We worked on defense almost exclusively every day this week and looked better today."
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16
- Bearkats battle Lumberjacks in Southland Tournament final Mar 15
- Top-ranked Indiana blasts Sam Houston State Nov 15
- Bearkats come north seeking upset of top-ranked Hoosiers Nov 15
- Turner leads defensive Aggies past Bearkats Dec 7
- Sam Houston State comes calling on No. 22 Texas A&M Dec 7
- Texas wins easy at home against SHS Nov 23
- Udoh leads Baylor past Sam Houston State 68-59 Mar 18
- Sam Houston St.-Baylor Preview Mar 18