McKnight scores 18, leads Akron over Malone 62-30Dec 13, 2009 - 2:22 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Brett McKnight scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds as Akron coasted to a 62-30 victory over Malone on Saturday night.
The Zips (5-3) led 14-2 with 14:10 left in the first half and never looked back. They led 31-17 at the half and built their lead to 20 points, 41-21, less than 5 minutes into the second half.
The Pioneers (2-7), an NAIA Division II team, were playing an NCAA Division I team for the first time since Dec. 9, 1989, when they beat Cleveland State 94-87.
This time, they struggled to score, shooting 20.4 percent (11-for-54), including 16 percent (4-for-16) from 3-point range. Only two Malone players scored more than four points, led by Eric Coblentz with 12, and only five scored at all.
Freshman Zeke Marshall grabbed 11 rebounds for Akron and blocked two shots, giving him 14 blocks in the Zips' last four games.
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9
- Ohio edges Akron to take MAC title Mar 11
- MAC title on the line as Bobcats battle Zips Mar 10
- Notre Dame downs Akron to advance Mar 18
- Akron wins MAC crown over Kent State in OT Mar 12