Pullen scores 28 as K-State routs No. 18 UNLVDec 13, 2009 - 2:41 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Jacob Pullen hit seven 3-pointers and scored a game-high 28 points, and Kansas State pounded No. 18 UNLV 95-80 on Saturday night for the Wildcats' sixth straight win.
Pullen was 7 of 10 from beyond the arc and 10 of 16 from the field, as the Wildcats shot 57 percent (28 of 49) for the game. They were 14 of 23 from beyond the arc while building their lead to 88-65 with about 6 minutes left.
Denis Clemente added 22 points and nine assists for the Kansas State (9-1), Jamar Samuels had 14 points and Curtis Kelly scored 13.
Tre'Von Willis led UNLV (8-1) with 17 points. Chace Stanback added 14 points and Oscar Bellfield had 13 for the Rebels, who shot 48 percent from the field.
The Wildcats led most of the first half thanks to their 7-of-12 rate from 3-point range. They jumped to a 10-4 lead before the Rebels briefly took their only lead of the half at 18-16.
Martavious Irving's 3-pointer with 10:25 left in the first half put Kansas State on top, and except for one tie, the Wildcats led the rest of the way.
Kansas State led 42-34 at halftime on Pullen's layup at the buzzer, and the lead never dropped below eight in the second half.
UNLV coach Lon Kruger played at Kansas State from 1971-74. He also served as an assistant coach from 1979-82 and head coach from 1986-90. It was the first time the two teams met since the 1987 NCAA tournament, when Kruger's Wildcats lost to the Rebels 80-78 in the second round.
The game was technically played on a neutral court at Orleans Arena, about a mile west of the Strip and a few miles away from the UNLV campus. The Runnin' Rebels usually play home games at the Thomas & Mack Center, which is being used for the National Rodeo Finals.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10