Virginia Tech beats Penn State 66-64Dec 13, 2009 - 2:37 AM By GENARO C. ARMAS AP Sports Writer
STATE COLLEGE, Pa.(AP) -- Malcolm Delaney scored 11 of his 27 points during a key second-half stretch and Virginia Tech benefited from Penn State's poor foul shooting in a 66-64 win Saturday night.
Delaney led the Hokies (8-1) to a 53-47 lead with 10:57 left after a three-point play.
Penn State (6-4) scraped together runs on second-chance points and transition buckets. Andrew Jones' two foul shots put the Nittany Lions back on top 59-58 with 4:20 left
But Delaney sank two free throws after Chris Babb was whistled for an intentional foul on a fast break.
Later, Penn State's Talor Battle missed two free throws, while Tech's Dorenzo Hudson followed with two foul shots for a 62-59 lead with 1:50 left.
A deep 3 by Battle with 7.7 seconds left got Penn State within 65-64. After a Hokies free throw, Battle missed a potential game-tying layup at the buzzer.
Battle finished with 32 points.
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 66
PENN ST 64 FINAL
Dec 12 9:18 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 36
PENN ST 36 HALFTIME
Dec 12 7:58 PM
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- No. 2 North Carolina's game at Virginia Tech moved to 3 p.m. Jan 23
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Penn State at a Glance Oct 27
- Penn State's Chambers hopes momentum translates to wins Oct 27
- Virginia Tech Hokies deeper in Buzz Williams 2nd season Oct 26
- Virginia Tech Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Freshmen expected to contribute heavily for Penn State Oct 7
- Hokies leading scorer Smith to transfer Mar 26
- Chambers signs extension with Penn State Mar 20
- Russell rallies Ohio State past Penn State Mar 4
- Buckeyes hit road to tangle with Nittany Lions Mar 4