Fla. Gulf Coast defeats Fla. International 81-64Dec 13, 2009 - 3:22 AM FORT MYERS, Fla.(AP) -- Reed Baker scored a season-high 20 points as Florida Gulf Coast earned its first win with an 81-64 victory over Florida International on Saturday night.
Baker's 3-pointer with 2:24 remaining built FGCU's lead to nine after FIU had gone on a 12-0 run to close within six points with just over 3 minutes left.
The Eagles (1-6) closed the game on an 11-0 run as FIU (3-9) did not score in final 3:05.
Reggie Chambers scored 16 points, going 6-for-6 from the field, for the Eagles. He scored 14 of his points in the first 7 minutes, which helped FGCU build an early double-digit lead.
FGCU controlled the glass, grabbing 12 offensive rebounds and outrebounding the Golden Panthers 41-26.
Marlon Bright led FIU with 16 points and Marvin Roberts chipped in 15.
FIU coach Isiah Thomas' Golden Panthers have lost six of seven.
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- Dooley tabbed as FGCU men's basketball coach Apr 17
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Cinderella's run ends; Gators oust FGCU Mar 30
- Surprising Eagles set sights on Gators in Sweet 16 Mar 28