Morgan helps Winthrop fend off Barton 64-51Dec 13, 2009 - 3:49 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Matt Morgan scored 14 points and Andy Buechert had 10 points and 18 rebounds as Winthrop pulled away late to defeat Barton College 64-51 on Saturday night.
The Bulldogs (5-2), NCAA Division II champions in 2007, trailed Winthrop 41-39 with 10:23 remaining but scored just one point over the next 6:51 to fall behind 52-40 against the Eagles (4-4) with 3:53 to play.
Barton missed eight shots from the field and turned the ball over four times during its run of futility before Klevin Pollard hit a jumper at the 3:32 mark.
Winthrop also had an 11-1 run in the first half, after Barton had taken an 11-6 lead in the game's first 3:07. The Bulldogs missed 11 shots during that stretch and finished the game shooting 25.4 percent (16-for-63).
Gerald Boston, the only Barton player to make at least half his shots (5-for-9), led the Bulldogs with 14 points.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16
- No. 7 Ohio State overcomes slow start to down Winthrop Dec 18
- Seventh-ranked Buckeyes seek to ground Eagles Dec 18
- Winthrop tabs Kelsey as next men's basketball coach Mar 29