Maine knocks off Kennesaw State 57-51Dec 13, 2009 - 8:57 PM ORONO, Maine(AP) -- Gerald McElmore made six 3-pointers and scored 20 points to lead Maine to a 57-51 victory over Kennesaw State on Sunday.
McElmore, who entered with 30 3-pointers in eight games, was 6-for-10 from beyond the arc to help the Black Bears (5-4) win for the third time in four games.
Maine led throughout the second half, but Kennesaw State (4-5) cut the lead to 37-31 on Kurtis Woods' free throw with 11:55 left.
McElmore countered with a 3-pointer and Troy Barnies hit a free throw to push the margin to 41-31 with 11:46 remaining.
Barnies, who had 11 points and 13 rebounds, hit a 3-pointer to give Maine a 47-34 lead with 6:24 to play.
Kennesaw State, which was 19-for-25 on 3-pointers in a 97-91 win over Lipscomb on Dec. 5, was 5-for-29 (17.2 percent) against Maine.
Markeith Cummings and Matt Heramb led the Owls with 11 points each. LaDaris Green had 15 rebounds.
- Ray, Kennesaw State pull away for 69-59 win over Thomas (Ga) Dec 7
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Kennesaw State names Al Skinner men's hoops coach Apr 26
- Kennesaw State fires hoops coach Lallathin Mar 23
- No. 15 Butler cruises past Kennesaw State Dec 9
- Kennesaw State hits road seeking upset of Butler Dec 8
- Syracuse handles Kennesaw State in opener Nov 15
- 23rd-ranked Orange eye up Owls in season opener Nov 14
- Maine names Walsh men's basketball coach May 7
- Kennesaw State, Preston announce mutual separation Mar 19
- Kennesaw State coach taking leave of absence Jan 2
- No. 12 Connecticut crushes Maine Dec 6