Vermont slips past Quinnipiac 80-77Dec 13, 2009 - 7:53 PM BURLINGTON, Vt.(AP) -- Marqus Blakely scored a career-high 32 points to lead Vermont to its fifth straight win with a come-from-behind 80-77 victory over Quinnipiac on Sunday.
Trailing 68-67 with 4:15 left to play, Vermont (7-4) got 3-pointers from Maurice Joseph and Garvey Young to take a 73-70 lead with just over 3 minutes remaining. A steal by Nick Vier led to a fastbreak layup by Young for a 75-70 lead.
Jeremy Baker hit both free throws to pull Quinnipiac (4-5) back within three, but Vermont went 4-for-4 at the foul line to extend the lead to 79-74 with 40 seconds to play.
James Johnson hit a 3 to pull Quinnipiac back within two with 33 seconds left, but the Catamounts held the Bobcats scoreless the rest of the way and added a free throw by Young for the final margin.
Baker led Quinnipiac with 22 points and James Feldeine added 21.
- NCAA BB
VERMONT 80 FINAL
Dec 13 2:11 PM
- NCAA BB
VERMONT 36 HALFTIME
Dec 13 1:03 PM
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Iona-Quinnipiac hoops game postponed Jan 2
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Napier, UConn down Quinnipiac in 2-OT Nov 19
- Huskies and Bobcats meet in Paradise Jam semifinals Nov 18
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13
- Quinnipiac extends Moore through 2016-17 season Jul 11
- North Carolina rolls on without Henson, tops Vermont Mar 16