Niagara hands Illinois State 1st loss, 76-68Dec 13, 2009 - 10:37 PM NORMAL, Ill.(AP) -- Tyrone Lewis scored 26 points Sunday as Niagara handed Illinois State its first loss of the season, 76-68.
Kashief Edwards scored 14 points and Austin Cooley 10 for Niagara (7-4), which also won when the teams met last year in Lewiston, N.Y., as part of the BracketBusters event.
Dinma Odiakosa led Illinois State (7-1) with 14 points. Osiris Eldridge scored 12 for the Redbirds, but was 5-for-18 from the field, including 2-for-11 from 3-point range. Illinois State made only five 3-pointers in 23 attempts. Lewis had five of the Purple Eagles' 10 3-pointers.
Jackie Carmichael had 11 points and Kellen Thornton 10 for the Redbirds, who outrebounded Niagara 49-28. Carmichael and Odiakosa each had 13 rebounds.
The Redbirds' last lead was 53-51 after an Eldridge layup with 10:47 to go, then the Purple Eagles began a 12-4 run and controlled the game the rest of the way.
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Illinois State staffers among 7 dead in plane crash Apr 7
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Good Knight: Illinois St. stuns Wichita in MVC semis Mar 7
- Shockers meet Redbirds in MVC semifinals Mar 7
- No. 15 Wichita State tops Illinois State Feb 14
- Redbirds seek upset of 15th-ranked Shockers Feb 14
- No. 13 UNI overwhelms Illinois State Feb 11
- Northern Iowa survives against Illinois State Jan 25
- Wichita State avoids shocker against Illinois State Jan 4
- Second-half surge carries Shockers past Illinois State Jan 22