Florida Gulf Coast beats SC Upstate 86-82Dec 15, 2009 - 2:31 AM SPARTANBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Reed Baker scored 27 points and Anthony Banks added 21 to lead Florida Gulf Coast past South Carolina-Upstate 86-82 on Monday night.
The Eagles (2-6, 1-0 Atlantic Sun Conference) led by as many as 14 points, 36-22, with 3:05 left in the first half on a layup by Derrick O'Neil, but the Spartans (1-7, 1-1) pulled within 41-39 at halftime.
Upstate opened the second half on a 10-4 run. Josh Chavis, who hit two 3-pointers during the spurt, gave the Eagles a 49-45 lead on a 3 with 16:34 to play.
The Eagles then overcame a 64-61 deficit on six straight points to take the lead for good, 67-64, on two free throws by Baker with 5:59 to play.
Chavis led the Spartans with 34 points and Carter Cook added 16.
Nick Schneiders finished with seven blocks and became the Upstate's career leader in blocks with 143, breaking Kevin Harrington's record of 136 set from 2000-04.
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Dooley tabbed as FGCU men's basketball coach Apr 17
- Cinderella's run ends; Gators oust FGCU Mar 30
- Surprising Eagles set sights on Gators in Sweet 16 Mar 28
- FGCU moves into Sweet 16 by stunning Aztecs Mar 25
- Upstart Eagles take on Aztecs in South Regional dust-up Mar 23