Rutgers pulls away in OT to beat Rider 80-70Dec 16, 2009 - 2:53 AM PISCATAWAY, N.J.(AP) -- James Beatty scored a career-high 21 points and Rutgers held Rider without a point in overtime to take an 80-70 victory on Tuesday night.
Mike Rosario had 18, Jonathan Mitchell 17 and Hamady Ndiaye nine points and 11 rebounds for Rutgers (7-2), which defeated a team with a winning record for the first time this season and improved to 14-1 against its in-state rival.
Rider (7-5) got 26 points and eight rebounds from Ryan Thompson, while Justin Robinson had 15 points and Mike Ringgold added 12 points and 12 rebounds.
Rutgers had a 70-68 lead with 1:52 left in regulation and the score remained that way until Thompson's putback tied it with 12.7 seconds remaining. Rutgers had a chance for the win before Mitchell missed a short jumper as time expired.
Neither team had a field goal in OT as Rutgers went 10-for-14 from the foul line and held the Broncs to 0-for-8 shooting.
- NCAA BB
RUTGERS 80 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Dec 15 9:39 PM
- NCAA BB
RUTGERS 36 HALFTIME
Dec 15 8:18 PM
- Rutgers raises $50 million in 4 months for athletics May 10
- Brandin Knight joins Rutgers basketball coaching staff Apr 18
- Rutgers confirms that Hobbs has joined Pikiell's staff Apr 14
- Jay Young hired as assistant basketball coach at Rutgers Apr 11
- Karl Hobbs leaves UConn to join Pikiell's staff at Rutgers Mar 31
- Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers basketball coach Mar 22
- AP source: Stony Brook's Steve Pikiell is new Rutgers coach Mar 19
- Jordan fired as Rutgers basketball coach Mar 10
- Rutgers on verge of winless Big 10 Conference season Mar 3
- Rutgers suspends freshman Corey Sanders Feb 15
- Correction: T25-Rider-Maryland story Nov 23
- Rutgers faces another tough season in Big Ten Conference Oct 27