Southern Miss beats Louisiana-Lafayette 71-53Dec 16, 2009 - 3:06 AM HATTIESBURG, Miss.(AP) -- Josimar Ayarza and Gary Flowers combined for 32 points and Southern Mississippi defeated Louisiana-Lafayette 71-53 on Tuesday night.
Ayarza scored 18 points and Flowers added 14 for the Golden Eagles (7-1), who are off to their best start since 2006 when they began 7-0.
Southern Miss held the Ragin' Cajuns to 16.7 percent from the field in the first half (5 of 30) and led 29-17 at halftime.
The Golden Eagles outrebounded Louisiana-Lafayette 47-32 and didn't trail in the contest.
The Ragin' Cajuns (3-5) were led by Chris Gradnigo with 16 points and Tyren Johnson with 14. Louisiana-Lafayette was just 4 of 23 from 3-point range and trailed by as many as 22 points in the second half.
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- McDermott scores 30 to power Creighton past Louisiana Mar 21
- Cajuns and Bluejays duke it out in West Region action Mar 21
- Louisiana wins Sun Belt title over Georgia State Mar 16
- Georgia State and Louisiana meet for Sun Belt title Mar 16
- Louisville's offense erupts in rout of Louisiana Dec 7
- Seventh-ranked Cardinals continue run with Cajuns Dec 7
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29
- Cardinals set sights on red-hot Golden Eagles Nov 29