Mississippi State beats Wright State 80-69Dec 17, 2009 - 2:20 AM STARKVILLE, Miss.(AP) -- Barry Stewart scored 21 points to lead Mississippi State to an 80-69 victory over Wright State on Wednesday night.
Mississippi State (8-2) hit 29 of 46 shots from the field (63 percent), including 12 3-pointers. Wright State (6-4) shot just 34.8 percent from the field (23-for-66), hitting 14 3-pointers on 36 attempts.
The Bulldogs outrebounded the Raiders 34-28 and blocked 13 shots.
Mississippi State opened the game on an 18-8 run and led 43-31 at the break. In the second half, the Raiders remained competitive but never pulled closer than nine points.
Jarvis Varnado had 17 points and eight rebounds for the Bulldogs. Ravern Johnson added 13 points and Romero Osby chipped in 10, while Dee Bost had 11 assists.
Troy Tabler paced the Raiders with 22 points. Ronnie Thomas had 14 points and Todd Brown added 12, while Vaughn Duggins chipped in 10.
- Wright State hires South Dakota State basketball coach Apr 4
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Wright State fires coach Billy Donlon after 6 seasons Mar 19
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- Howland named Mississippi State basketball coach Mar 23
- Mississippi State fires Ray after 3 seasons Mar 21
- UK routs Mississippi State to stay unbeaten Feb 25
- Top-ranked Wildcats continue run against Bulldogs Feb 25